If you are unable to find an answer to your query, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Question: What is the Rail & Sail product?
Answer: An all-in-one ticket providing travel from Holland to England thanks to a partnership between Stena Line, Greater Anglia Rail, NS-Dutch Railways and the RET (Rotterdam Public Transport).
Question: How does it work?
Answer: You can choose from 2 options;
• Any NS station in the Netherlands to any Greater Anglia station in England including crossing Hook of Holland - Harwich *
• Hook of Holland to any Greater Anglia station in England incl. crossing Hook of Holland - Harwich
Both options can be booked as a single trip as well as return.
* Only to be reserved until 8 days before departure and only for addresses in the Netherlands
Question: How do I book a ticket?
Answer: Rail and Sail tickets can be booked online through the Stena Line website or by calling 0900-8123 (Dutch only). For bookings made by telephone we will charge a € 15 reservation fee. We recommend international customers to book online.
Question: As of April 1, NS has discontinued the Hook of Holland - Rotterdam route. How can I travel on this route now?
Answer: From April 1, a replacement bus service runs on this route. As of March 31, you will receive a special ticket issued by the RET when you book a Rail & Sail train ticket in the Netherlands which, besides transport with NS, is also valid for the replacement bus service transport with RET.
Bus line 711: Hook of Holland Express - Schiedam Center Station (+/- 30 min)
- The shuttle bus departs 4x every hour between 7.00 - 9.00 and 16.00 - 18.00
- Other times: 3x per hour
- Weekend: during the day and nights: 2x per hour
Bus line 713: Stop service Hook of Holland Haven - Station Schiedam Centrum (+/- 70 min)
- All days: 2x per hour
- Wheelchair: There is only 1 space available for a wheelchair. If you travel with a scooter, you need to arrange customized transport yourself.
- Rollers and buggies can be transported when they can be folded.
- Cyclists: Not possible to take your bike into the bus
More information can be found on the website of the RET.
Information metro service
Question: Do I have to print my e-ticket?
Answer: Yes, please make sure you print a copy of the itinerary / e-ticket before the start of your journey. This will be accepted as a valid travel document for your rail journey on Greater Anglia rail services in the UK and for your ferry crossing.
If you have made a booking including train tickets in the Netherlands, you will receive separate train tickets sent to your home address.
Question: How much luggage can I take?
Answer: Foot passengers may take up to 2 extra luggage items of max. 20 kg. This baggages will be checked on day trips unless a cabin is booked. If you have booked a cabin, you must put the luggage in the cabin.
Question: Can I take my pet with me?
Answer: Yes, Stena Line is part of the PETS travel scheme. Simply add the number of pets that are travelling with you in the booking dialogue. Pets travel free on Greater Anglia trains (Harwich to London) and small pets must travel in a carrier on your lap on Dutch trains – large dogs will require a dog-day pass for around €3.
Question: Can I take a bicycle with me?
Answer: On busy services there are restrictions on non-folding bikes. For the comfort and safety of all passengers, only folding bikes can be included. This applies to the services to Stratford and London Liverpool Street Station:
These restrictions apply from Monday to Friday except on public holidays.
• All trains arriving in Stratford or Liverpool Street between 07.45 and 09.45
• All trains departing from Stratford or Liverpool Street between 16.30 and 18.30
Regarding the replacement bus service Schiedam Centrum - Hook of Holland, please note that it is not possible to take your bicycle into the replacement busses.
Question: Can I change my booking?
Answer: You can contact the reservation department (0900 - 8123). The costs are € 15,- per one way plus any difference in the rate. At a lower rate, the price difference will not be refunded.
Question: What if I need to cancel my booking?
Answer: There is no refund value on Rail & Sail product.