Which pets does it concern?
A maximum of 5 pets per vehicle or a maximum of 3 pets per foot passenger is allowed. Guide dogs, dogs, cats and ferrets are subject to the EU pet passport UK Pet Travel scheme (PETS) rules and must comply to avoid quarantine in the UK. Your pet must be at least 15 weeks old to travel.
The ban of certain dog breeds
In the United Kingdom, there is a ban on the following dog breeds, the Pittbull, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino and Fila Brasileiro. Please note, the ban not only affects pedigree dog but also all dogs that resemble them (cross-breeds). If a dog shows dangerous / aggressive behavior, the owner is liable for all damage caused and will be issued with a fine, or may be convicted for committing a criminal offense.
Assistance Dogs travel free and are allowed to travel on the passenger decks and in the cabins with their owners as long as the dog is wearing its harness or jacket and passengers need to provide medical indication papers before travelling. Without these papers, the Assistance Dog will not be allowed to travel in the cabin along with the customer, it will need to be housed in the onboard kennels.
For customers travelling with an Assistance Dog in training you are kindly asked to inform our Guest Services.
Please contact Stena Line a few days before you travel on +31(0)174-315811 so that we can alert staff onboard the ship.
Service Animals vs Emotional Support Animals
A Service Animal is an animal that is required to help guide or assist a disabled person(s). Stena Line allows Service Animals in cabins and in a designated part of the restaurant.
Emotional Support Animals, Comfort Animals and Therapy Dogs are not Service Animals and therefore will not be offered the same access by Stena Line onboard our ships. They will need to go in the kennel. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained are not considered Service Animals either.
Proof of Service dog: Passenger must produce an official certificate (a doctor's letter is not a valid document)
Passenger must ensure service animal or dog has relieved themselves before boarding. If distressed or in need of the bathroom, we have a simple outlet area onboard our ships.
EU pet passport*
Pet travel with dogs, cats and ferrets is bound by the conditions of the EU pet passport. The EU pet passport replaces all passports or other documents previously used for pet travel in Europe including the PETS document. The EU pet passport can be acquired at any authorized veterinarian after a microchip has been fitted and a successful blood test has been given. The following procedures must be followed:
* Non-EU countries can travel with an Animal Health Certificate.
Stena Line terms and conditions of carriage of pets
• You are responsible for ensuring the animal's welfare during the crossing.
• All pets must travel inside a vehicle or in the onboard kennel and remain there throughout the crossing.
• We recommend that dogs should travel in the provided onboard kennel and Stena Line cannot be held responsible for any material or immaterial damage that may arise from not using our kennel facilities.
• It is your obligation to ensure that all conditions for EU pet travel and the UK Pet Travel scheme (PETS) are met. Stena Line cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of the information given.
• Should your pet not meet the conditions of the EU pet travel and the UK Pet Travel scheme (PETS) the animal is liable to be held in UK quarantine for a period of up to 6 months or be re-exported.
• Stena Line is obliged as an accredited PETS carrier to verify your documentation on travel to the UK and will refuse the carriage of your pet if the documentation is in breach of the PETS rules.
• If you are planning to quarantine your pet in the UK you will be fully responsible for all arrangements and cost associated with this procedure. You will need to produce the relevant documentation to Stena Line prior to carriage.
• Stena Line cannot be held liable for any cost material or immaterial in connection with noncompliance with EU pet travel and PETS rules.